Sunday, August 22, 2010

What Was This Man On?

I read a great deal of science fiction. I know, duh, right? Yet in all my readings, there's one author that consistently perplexes me. His name is Phillip K. Dick. I haven't read all of his stuff, not yet anyway. But, in reading his short stories and some of his novels, one question keeps repeating in my mind over and over and over again.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE MAN SMOKING??


And, more importantly, where can I get some!! This guy comes up with some of the craziest, wildest, most brilliant concepts I have ever encountered! It's amazing! The man lived from 1928-1982 and he came up some stuff that fits right at home, now in the year 2010!! If you don't believe me, check this out. Here are some of the movies made from his stories:

Blade Runner (1982)

Total Recall (1990)

Screamers (1995)

AI: Artificial Intelligence (2001)

Impostor (2001)

Minority Report (2002)

Paycheck (2003)

A Scanner Darkly (2006)

Next (2007)

Look up the stories of these movies, and then realize the they were written BEFORE 1980!! Can you believe it? This man was something else! God, would I have LOVED to have a conversation with him. Oh wait, and there's another movie coming out based on his work sometime next year. It's called The Adjustment Bureau. Check out the trailer:



Provocative isn't it? If you want to find out more about him, there is a website you can check out. Just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment