Wednesday, November 9, 2011

One Dream Dies & A New One Is Born...

Awhile ago, I declared my intent to attend the 2012 Comic-Con in San Diego next year. For a long time, I had the dogged intent to actually go forth with that plan. I had the Comic-Con page as my homepage so every time I went online, I knew whether or not the badges were on sale. I had several big plans in fact. I was going to go to a "Weird Al" concert in Concord, NH. I was going to visit friends in New Jersey for Thanksgiving, I even had a plan to spend the week between Christmas & New Year's Eve (a.k.a. my birthday week) visiting friends in Canada! It was going to be off the HOOK!!

However, reality, moving ever so slowly, corrupted those dreams until they were nothing but dust. I didn't get to go to the concert. Car issues prevented me from being able to building up the cash to go to NJ and also killed the trip to Canada. And now, while I'm still in financial recovery from all the legal fallout of my car issues, I am finally letting go of the dream of going to Comic-Con 2012.

I simply don't have the $ to buy the badges when they come sale. And that doesn't even cover the round-trip flight, hotel stay, car rental, food costs, and spending money for the Con itself. Frankly, it's just too fucking expensive to go. Therefore, in order to save myself a great deal of emotional angst (and my friend the blowback of that angst), I'm letting go of the dream. My journey to Comic-Con is no more.

In it's place, there is a new dream. One that is FULLY achievable, but will require a great deal of work on my part. For my Christmas present to myself, I will be building myself a new PC. From SCRATCH.

Mind you, I've had my current PC (which I also built from scratch) for over SIX YEARS! The only things I've had to upgrade is the video card and the DVD burners.

I start the research on Motherboards and CPUs tomorrow. I should have it all laid out in a week or so, and as God is my witness by Jan 1st, 2012, I will have my ENTIRELY brand NEW PC.... including a new monitor, keyboard, and mouse!

Mission: PC Update starts... RIGHT NOW!

4 comments:

  1. Cool beans. I never thought you would realistically make it to ComicCon, truth be told. But I think this new plan sounds fully achievable. Onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vote of confidence, David. I really appreciate your faith in my ability to make it to Comic-Con. ;-)

    In the end, though, you were right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I didn't have faith in my own ability to make it out to SDCC next year, either. So I'm in the same boat, because I realize I really won't be able to make it after all.

    By the way, check out my blog later tonight as I'm actually putting up some resources for building your own PC. Not for you, but for myself and any of my readers who might be thinking of doing this as well . . . but have never done so before.

    If you have a good video camera, you could film yourself putting together your dream machine when the time comes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can lend a hand, & now that i have a laptop w/a web cam, we can go all out!!! just let me know, bro, & i will lend my camera as always!!!!

      Delete