Monday, January 25, 2010

24 Season 8 Premiere -- 2nd Night


Ever since the producers & the executives at Fox decided on the two night 4 hour premiere format for 24, I've had a ball with the start of the season. It always feels like the show is larger than TV for some reason.

Before I start on Hours 3 & 4, I do have to make a slight correction to my review of Hours 1 & 2. I stated that the character Hassan was the president of Iran. I could have sworn that it was stated in the dialog, but it turns out, I was mistaken. While Hassan is the president of a middle eastern country, as always, it's never stated which country. Sorry about that, folks. And now, my thoughts on Hours 3 & 4.

The next two hours have aired, and they are fantastic!! We're now getting some of the B-story lines laid out and I have to say, I'm not liking Dana Walsh's storyline. They started her out as strong, focused, and determined in the first two hours. Now they're ping-ponging her between Strong Walsh at CTU and Fragile Walsh with her ex-boyfriend, which doesn't quite ring true. Even with CTU NY being a relatively new organization, Walsh would never be able to handle working at CTU if it were so easy to break her down. Sackhoff's performance is pitch perfect, I'm just not liking the character.

I do have to say I like the idea of a division of CTU having to prove it can do the job. Until it's disbanding in between season 6 & 7, CTU was a deeply entrenched foundation of the show with very small changes to it.
And Annie Wershing returns as Renee Walker!! YEAH!!! She was awesome in season 7 and I loved her introduction in season 8, but her actions are really solidifying the echoes of previous story lines.

Have you ever wanted to go back in time & talk to your younger self? Give yourself some strong advice and guidance? Renee's introduction in season 7 seemed to have given Bauer that exact opportunity. Now in season 8, we're treated to a re-invention of the "hacksaw" scene in season 2. Not to mention the fact that Walker's in pretty much the same state Bauer was in at the beginning of season 2. Plus, the unusually honorable president, and another love affair between high level CTU agents..... I guess because this might be the final season of 24, the producers decided to give us the "Best Of.." 24 story lines". Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we'll have to see how things turn out.

Hours 3 & 4 continue the greatness of season 8, and I can't wait for Monday to hear the words: "The next episode of 24 starts... RIGHT NOW!"

No comments:

Post a Comment