Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Top 10 Favorite Comedies...

While I'm on the subject of comedies and in the mood to make lists, I've decided to give you, my dear readers, my top 10 favorite comedy films! Don't you feel lucky? Don't you just feel special?? Like all gooey and yummy inside? Really? Well, you may want to see a doctor about that. I'm just saying... Anyway, for those of you who just started reading this blog, let me tell you what my definition of favorite is. No, there is too much, let me sum up: A movie is a favorite when you'd be willing to watch it no matter WHAT mood you're in. Depressed, sad, happy, mad, whatever, if this movie pops up on On Demand or regular TV, you'd give it some serious thought to just sitting down and watching it. THAT is a favorite.

Now, as always, there are some rules. First off, some disqualifications: Avid readers of this blog know that Back To The Future is my favorite movie of all time. It also counts as a comedy (a sci-fi comedy, no less), but because it's already THE favorite movie of mine, it has to be disqualified from this list. The Princess Bride and Groundhog Day are also disqualified for similar reasons. They are on my top 10 favorite movies of all time list (as is BttF) which knocks them out of contention. Another rule: NO ROMANTIC COMEDIES! Before all my female readers go up in flames over this, let me explain. There are two reasons why I'm kicking Rom-Coms of this list.

First, I'm a guy, so every single rom-com has two strikes against it. 1)I'm a guy so I'm not all that interested in romance. 2)I already know how the story is going to go for 97% of them: Boy & Girl meet, they instantly are attracted to each other, something prevents them from being together, some possibly funny stuff happens as one or both of them try to get together, and then they finally get together, The End. Not only do I know the story walking in, but because they are aiming at a specific demographic, I also know exactly HOW they are going to PRESENT the story. As a movie buff, I can't in good conscience watch most rom-coms without rolling my eyes. (And I have to watch them because all my female friends keep trying to convince me there is more merit in the genre.) Tell, you what ladies, I will give you my top 10 rom coms in a future post, okay? Good. Now that we got all THAT stuff out of the way, here are my top 10 favorite comedies:

10) Spaceballs - Look, there was NO WAY IN HELL that a Mel Brooks movie wasn't going to make this list. And because I'm a sci-fi fan,  you KNEW this was the one that would be there. No one can make fun of an entire genre of movies like Mel Brooks can, and this send up of sci fi pics keeps making me laugh out loud every time I see it. "When will then be now? SOON!"






09) Beetlejuice - This was the first "twisted" comedy I ever saw and while I've seen more twisted stuff since then, this movie still holds a special place in my heart. The cast, the dancing, the special effects, even the SOUNDTRACK!! There is nothing about this movie that isn't simply awesome!!  "It's showtime!"






08) The Blues Brothers - Initially created as a sketch for Saturday Night Live, the Blues Brothers became so popular they decided to make a movie. And they filled it with a veritable who's who of music: James Brown, Ray Charles, John Lee Hooker, Aretha Franklin, Cab Calloway and more! But it's the crazy adventures of Jake and Elwood blues as they try to put their band back together that makes this movie so awesomely funny! "We're on a mission from God."




07) Ghostbusters - The 80s comedy dream team was born right here in this film. Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, and Annie Potts made this movie uproariously funny! Ernie Hudson and Sigourney Weaver grounded them all in a modicum of seriousness, which must have been such a difficult task with this group of actors. To this day, people still love this movie and let's be honest people, you all know the answer to that age old question: "Who ya gonna call?"




06) Galaxy Quest - I'm a Star Trek fan with all the ups and downs that implies. As such, I completely and instantaneously understood, appreciated and LOVED this movie. My favorite performance has to go to Alan Rickman. His journey from bitter, cynical actor back to a sincerely caring man lent the movie an emotional gravitas that served as a rudder for all the ridiculousness to cling to. Now, I want  you to say it with me: "By Grabthar's hammer, by the Suns of Warvan... you shall be... avenged."




05) Men In Black -While I'm a big fan of both Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith, they are not the reason MIB is on this list. The thing that I love about this movie is the aspect of weirdness that it instills in the everyday. I just love the idea that an entirely different world exists right in front of your eyes, but uses your own presumptions to hide from you. "Anonymity is your name. Silence your native tongue. You're no longer part of the System. You're above the System. Over it. Beyond it. We're 'them.' We're 'they.' We are the Men in Black."



04) Good Morning, Vietnam -This is the most serious film on this list. It's still crazy funny, but there's a thread of heartwarming drama that really makes this movie stick with you long after it's gone. My favorite scene is when Adrian Cronauer meets the enlisted men. It really showcased the best part of the film for me. "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!" 





03) Evolution - One of my favorite types of humor is deadpan sarcastic wordplay. And an unsung master of that style of humor is David Duchovny. This parody of an alien infestation flick would never have worked without Duchovny at the helm. Orlando Jones and Julianne Moore provide some impressive back up as well. Together they help prove the importance of Head & Shoulders and lubricant. "There's ALWAYS time for lubricant!"




02) Ferris Bueller's Day Off  - I simply love the blatant audacity of this movie. From starting out by giving the audience a "how to" lesson on ditching school to "borrowing" a car for the day to joining a parade, Bueller shows us exactly how to enjoy a day off. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "







01) Clerks II - Whenever you hear about a sequel to a movie you like, it's inevitable to ask if they can capture the magic again. Kevin Smith and crew not only captured the magic but also put on an amazing show that was equal parts touching, shocking, and laugh out loud funny! I think they surpassed the original Clerks in almost every way! "You know something? You're not even supposed to be here today! "






And then there's the honorable mention. And this one was really close... like microscopically close to being in the top 10, but just couldn't quite make it in. 

HM) Thank You For Smoking - I stated before that I love wordplay style humor. And TYFS is nothing but a black comedy FILLED with wordplay. I found this movie not only laugh out loud funny but also tantalizingly bizarre as it twists your expectations and gets you on the side of the spin doctor. If you're looking for a smart comedy, definitely check this out! "Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I talk. Everyone has a talent."






So, what do you think, my dear readers? Did any of your favorite comedies make my list?  Did I pick any you absolutely hate/love? Sound off in the comments below!!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty much agree with all of this list. Except, I never saw Galaxy Quest or Evolution. Thanks for reminding me about them.

    For me, Number 1 would have been Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle. Or it would have been number 2, behind Ferris Bueller. I'm actually surprised Harold & Kumar is not on this list, in fact, but to each their own. :)

    Oh, and Clerks II is magnificent simply because Rosario Dawson is in it. Good lawd!!!

    ReplyDelete