Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Moment Of Beauty...

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm not a big fan of the holidays. My year ends on Oct 31st. At this point, there isn't really a way for this time of year to be redeemed for me. However, thanks to recent personal development, I've been able to finally recognize that there are some good times to be had during this my most harrowing time of the year. One of these moments occurred recently.

A couple days after Thanksgiving, I had the distinct pleasure of hooking up with a friend of mine. And before you ask, No, I'm not going to tell you who. While my decided lack of success in the realm of romantic relationships (as cataloged in MANY posts here) will make you exceedingly curious, there are some things that must remain private. Besides, her identity isn't necessary to the point of this post.

The point is I spent the night with a beautiful, raven haired woman. And while the act we shared was a highlight of my year, there is a moment of that night that sticks in mind more than the act. The moment came a few hours later, when I awoke in the depths of the night. I don't know what woke me, but I'm grateful to whatever did.

I woke up to see my bedroom lit by the dim were-light of the space heater I use. In front of me, lay the woman. She was about a foot and a half from me and facing away. I have some mild abandonment issues, so seeing her still being there already kicked off a bit of serene contentment. Then I took in the vision in front of me. See, the blankets had come down some and I could see the whole of her back. Her skin glowed in the light of my heater, set off by the strands of her dark hair. The slow regular rhythm of her breathing in her sleep set her back to move slightly and made the glow slide and shift across her back. I watched the golden orange light of my space heater dance across her back for a few minutes before falling asleep myself.

In a time of year that is rife with reminders of past traumas (both physical and emotional), those few minutes were a moment of beauty that I will treasure. And I thank whatever force guides the universe for allowing me that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment