Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The S*** Has Hit The Fan!!

Well folks, I'm sorry to say that I have to take my place on the long line of folks in UnEmploymentLand. Yes, I lost my job. Funny saying that... I know where the job is. The location of it hasn't changed... I'm just not charged with those duties any more.

Many people in my situation would be fuming, plotting evil schemes against the company, or whining in self-pity and sorrow. Crying "Woe is me!!" for all to hear. Crying for attention, pity and hand-holding from those around them. Well, F*** THAT! I'm too much of a realist to let that crap slow me down. Why I lost the job doesn't really matter. The company has to protect itself at all times, and especially in these tough times. They made a decision to protect themselves. That's it. It's not some conspiracy against me, or some evil cosmic being punishing me.

WHAT I DO NOW IS WHAT MATTERS.

The point is I need a steady source of income. Meaning, I NEED A JOB! So, instead of wasting time feeling sorry for myself or hosting a pity party, I'm going to get back on the band wagon, and start hunting down a new paying gig. Being the logical person that I am, I came up with a plan.

Step One: Figure out if unemployment benefits apply to me. If they do, get them started.

Step Two: Revise my resume and put it back in circulation

Step Three: Bring my development skill set up to current technology.

Step Four: Develop a demo project or three to show prospective employers

These particular steps should put me in a strong position to acquire a new job. If, dear reader, you wish to help me, then by all means, I welcome it. Just don't sympathize. "I'm so sorry..." doesn't help me. Giving me job leads, resume tips, or ideas on coding projects that I can do. That helps me.

As a parting thought, think on this:
Most of my life, the worst things that happened to me happened during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday seasons. This event counts as a Bad Thing(tm). And I have a 20+ year backlog of this. Can you at least understand why I HATE this time of year?

1 comment:

  1. That sucks. We had to lay off a few people at my job, too. I think all companies wait until the end of the year to do this.

    Did you employer know that you just moved in to an apartment? I don't know if that would have helped, but it did for one person here at my job. My boss had to decide between 2 people to lay off, and she chose the one because the other had just moved in to a new apartment.

    Yeah, you'd be surprised how many decisions in the corporate world are based on this. They usually pick the guy with the least responsibilities outside of work. At least, when there is a choice in the matter. I don't know your situation.

    Oh, and I understand about the holidays with you. Although I don't prescribe to the same feelings. My mother was murdered on New Year's Eve, which is probably the worst thing that could happen to a little boy. And yet, I never thought to associate the holiday with any negativity. I enjoy New Year's Eve today. . . although I don't go overboard with partying or anything.

    But that's based more on the kind of personality I have rather than anything pertaining to the anniversary of my mother's death. I don't particularly associate one with the other.

    ReplyDelete