Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lara Croft Reborn...

I have to admit I never actually played any of the original Tomb Raider games. The concept came across too much like Indiana Jones only with a hot chick packing twin handguns. I watched as the series got worse and worse, and when the movies came out, I figured they were the final nail in the coffin of Lara Croft. It looked like it was over. And I honestly, didn't give it a second thought.

I first heard about this reboot of the Tomb Raider series  when Game Informer did a feature article on the series. What made it interesting was that the people behind this reboot, decided to revamp everything from the ground up including Lara herself. The magazine with the feature revealed Lara's new look and I was amazed and encouraged. Gone was the teenage boy's wet dream of big boobs, tight shorts, and pistols, and in her place was a very realistic, beautiful woman facing some serious stakes. From what the article said, this Tomb Raider game was going to be not only the beginning of a new more realistic Lara Croft, but also the beginning of her story. This game is going to play out her first adventure and show the world why her story is so captivating.

The article talked a good game, and it did gain my interest, but I still had my doubts. Today, I got a look at the first trailer for the new Tomb Raider game, and I am encouraged. Check it out:





It really looks interesting, doesn't it? For the first time ever, I'm actually interested in Lara Croft, and don't see her as a female Indiana Jones. For that alone, the producers of the game (Crystal Dynamics & Square Enix) should be lauded! When the game comes out, playing it will be an interesting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment