Tuesday, July 26, 2011

First Week Down

As of today, I have made it through my first week on the new diet. Honestly, it wasn't all that difficult. The trick was getting all of the different components set in my mind and then actually doing them. I don't have it all down yet, but I have the bulk of it set in mind. I had a little bit of difficulty on the weekend, because I didn't have the set schedule of my job to smooth out the eating regimen. In the end, I muddled through Saturday & Sunday, and managed to stay on diet.

And now that the mechanics of the new diet system are set in my head, I have entered what I call the "Temptation" phase of my diet. Since I don't have to focus so much on making sure that I meet the requirements of my diet (because it's becoming more routine), more of my mind is free to focus on the things the people around me are eating, that I used to be free to eat. Everyday foodstuffs like chicken or rice, now have a greater level of appeal to me. Earlier today, I went into my office's kitchen to make my afternoon shake and the smell of bread toasting was simply divine. I mean for crying out loud, it was TOAST!! Not even buttered... just TOAST!!

Don't get me wrong, I didn't have any desire to suddenly devour all the bread in sight. Not in the slightest. But the fact that it smelled so good was remarkable to me. Just like I noticed all the food commercials in the hospital when I couldn't eat, I'm noticing all the different foods around me now that I can't have them. I guess it's true that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.

Of course, the whole point of my diet is to eventually work normal, non meal replacement foods back into my normal eating, so eventually I'll get back to eating those foods, but it's truly amazing how much I notice the foods that are around me now.

The other thing that is amazing to me is the entire lack of an energy drop. I figure I was pulling down at least a 3K+ calories a day diet. Currently, I'm at about 1K a day. I would have thought given the drop, my energy would drop, but I still feel the same. People tell me that my energy level will increase over time, but I think given the amount of weight I have to lose, I don't forsee any energy level changes just yet. I am interested in seeing if I've lost any more weight when I go to my diet class tonight. Either way, I'll post the results here. I'm also going to take some "before" pictures for comparison sake to when I reach my goal weight. That should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment