A blog I follow, The Musings Of A Wannabe Star had a post recently called 25 Things... where the author posted 25 facts about herself. I did one of those a while ago on FaceBook, and given the reminder, decided to post an updated list here. Here we go:
01) I was born & lived in NYC for the first 8 years of my life. This makes me forever a New Yorker, and forever yearn to live there again.
02) As of right now, I am the only member of my family to attain a college degree.
03) Science Fiction. Fantasy. These are TWO SEPARATE genres, people.
04) Due to the strength of my powers of analysis, a good portion of my friends come to me for dating/relationship advice, despite my EXTREME lack of success in the dating world.
05) My favorite season is the fall. The heat of summer mitigated by the incoming cold of winter and highlighted by the changing colors of leaves, makes autumn the most appealing of all the seasons.
06) I have always been intrigued by the blending of apparent opposites. Take science and magic. How many interesting things can come about from mixing the two? For example: fighting a dragon with an Apache helicopter.
07) Everything in the universe is systematic, with internal rules and logic. This makes science's goal of being able to explain everything within the universe possible, but we're NOWHERE NEAR there yet.
08) I consider myself a scientific, logical person. But I believe in magic.
09) Having your own form of transportation increases your independence greatly.
10) When I was little, I thought my life would end when I became 10. There was something about being double digits old that seemed ominous.
11) As far back as I can remember, I have found villians much more interesting than heroes. Heroes were always so cookie-cutter and robotic, where the villians they faced were so much more vibrant and alive.
12) The single, scariest image I have ever encountered came from the movie "The Devil's Advocate". The image? New York City in broad daylight... completely devoid of people.
13) Given the opportunity, I would NEVER kill Hitler. The world gained too much experience and humanity so much nobility from what Hitler started to have that erased by never having Hitler come to power.
14) I believe the human capacity for violence is a necessary trait that should never be lost. There are things worth fighting for. There are things worth dying for. And we should never lose the ability fight and die for the causes in which we believe.
15) I respect any & all members of my country's armed forces. The sacrifices they make on my behalf is extremely humbling. That's why I feel I can poke fun at them. Why waste my time creating jokes about people I don't care about?
16) I believe the best way to know yourself is to question your assumptions and beliefs. Socrates said, "An unexamined life is not worth living". And I completely agree.
17) I have had my house robbed six times and have been mugged once. Yet, I never once regretted losing what was taken. I believe my own survival is more important than any of my material possesions.
18) My favorite quote of all time is: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire (although there is some debate on who said it)
19) The first time I ever drank beer, I was 9. One of my family members gave me half a bottle of Heineken to drink. It knocked me out for the rest of the day. This was my first experience with chemical babysitting.
20) I do not believe that recreational drugs expand your mind, consciousness or perception.
21) I believe in God, but not in religion.
22) If someone really loves you, they love all of you. The good and the bad, with no need to change you.
23) It is possible to predict anything, including the future, IF you are given enough information and INTERPRET THAT INFORMATION CORRECTLY.
24) Despite my complete and total dislike for 95% of my family, I still enjoy the idea of having my own family.
25) I am grateful for the life I have led up to this point. It has granted me the abilities I have, the people I care about, and the strength to persevere in these trying times. Regrets I have aplenty, but I love my life because it made me the man I am. And I like that man.