Monday, June 28, 2010

Master of My Automotive Destiny

Six months ago, I lost my car after being unemployed for awhile, and not being able to make the payments on the car. It wrecked what little of a social life I had, and re-established several habits that could have led me to revert to my previous status of hermit. My responsibilities didn't stop, though, so I had to keep moving, relying on friends, family, and public transportation to get around. What got to me the most was the loss of independence. I wasn't able to go where I wanted, when I wanted. And I become a burden on the people around me, and I couldn't do a damn thing about it.

This past Saturday, after much deliberation and research, I finally re-acquired a vehicle, a 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD. I've dubbed her "Bianca".



I'm not one to buy into the propaganda the US tries to front load into its citizens, but there is a kernel of truth to the belief that a car represents freedom. Having a car gives you the ability to accomplish tasks on your own, without having to rely on anyone. Like any other form of freedom, there are costs that are inherent with a vehicle, but those costs are worth it.

Don't get me wrong, getting a car isn't the answer to all of life's problems. There isn't a single unilateral solution to the problems inherent to life, aside from death, of course. But, it does give you a chance to resolve a good portion of them. And it does allow for the deeper enjoyment of the pleasures of life.

For me, it means not being a burden on my friends & family. It means being able to go and visit friends, getting to & from work, and a lot less stress. At least for now.

I am proud to say that once again, I am master of my automotive destiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment