Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Fatality...

People, watch this!!!



All right, say it with me... OH MY GOD!!! I mean WOW! When I saw this my first thought was: IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!! I've been waiting for Mortal Kombat to get a treatment like this since they screwed up the first movie. Seeing quality actors playing these roles finally gives the proper strength to the story. Granted the story is a departure from the games, but it's being treated like a serious movie.

Now, I have to say upfront that I've never been a huge fan of the Mortal Kombat games. My natural inclinations led me towards the Street Fighter 2 side of fighting games. But, I've always said that the story of Mortal Kombat was much more compelling than the Street Fighter series. That's what makes the Mortal Kombat movies and tv shows better than the same fare from SF. But the biggest drawbacks to the MK movies is that they never took the story seriously. There was always a tongue-in-cheek aspect to the films that betrayed the power of the events unfolding on screen.

Watching this trailer (yes this is a REAL trailer, here's the info from IMDB), was nothing short of a revelation. I mean seriously, who ELSE could play Jax but Michael Jai White? The man is one of the most bad ass actors in Hollywood. It's a shame that he doesn't get the props he deserves. And if you want to see his fighting on film check out Blood And Bone. The real surprise was Jeri Ryan as Sonya Blade. Ms. Ryan has established herself as one of the powerhouse actresses of modern day Hollywood, and just her reciting lines gives more power to Sonya than has been afforded the character in any movie. And Ian Anthony Dale as Scorpion, well, after seeing the trailer, I don't have to say anything else.

Now, about the story. From what can be gleaned from this trailer, it looks like a mix between Se7en, Saw, and the original MK storyline. I find the modifications intriguing. They certainly lend a greater realism to the trailer which, in this day and age, is a very good thing. The only bad thing I can see from this is that there isn't MORE of it.

Unfortunately, it looks like the movie is slated for a 2013 release, so we're gonna have a LONG wait ahead of us. In the meantime, dear readers, warm up your game systems and get ready...


FIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment