Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thoughts On... 3D Movie Remakes

In a previous post, I talked about my stance on movie remakes. Basically, I'm open to the idea of remakes. A modern take on a film can reveal deeper themes in the movie's story. I can't count how many times I've re-watched films and come across concepts that the filmmakers simply didn't address. And there are some remakes that have been nothing less of Godsends to the original story. And then there's the latest crop of re-makes. You know the ones I'm talking about; the remakes or re-releases of movies solely to show them in 3D.

Honestly, I think they are a waste of time, money, and effort. Take the re-release of Titanic, for example. There have been NO changes to the story, NO additional scenes. No changes at all. The ONLY difference is that it's now in 3D. I know that Hollywood is always on a quest for money, but this is much more blatant than usual. I have never been a proponent of 3D. There is really no benefit to the plot of a movie to 3D. In fact, it could lead to a drop in the quality of stories since it would be easier to rely on 3D's immersive nature to make the plot more compelling as opposed to writing in a more compelling manner. Admittedly, that would take awhile and would require the widespread acceptance of 3D for ALL films released, which might not ever happen.

But my biggest issue with 3D is that studios are trying to force directors to use it. The most noteworthy of which was when the studios started putting pressure on Christopher Nolan to shoot his third, and final, Batman film in 3D, which he flatly refused to do. In his statement to the press, Nolan said that filming in 3D should be one of the tools available to a filmmaker for making films and not something that is forced upon filmmakers. Frankly, I completely agree. What about you, my dear readers, what do you think about the latest 3D movie releases?

1 comment:

  1. Oh god . . . The Dark Knight Rises would suck super hard in 3D. Ugh! Thank go Nolan's got integrity. If not, this could have been a return to the Schumacher era of Batman films. *shudder*

    I hate 3D in movies with a passion. I think I read somewhere that even the next Lord of the Rings Hobbit movies will be in 3D, which just raises my ire to no end. Whenever possible, I always go to the 2D showing of any big 3D release.

    ReplyDelete