Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Movies I'd Like To See: Saving Mr. Banks

We all love going to the movies. We all love seeing the screen come alive with great characters, epic story lines, and mind-blowing action. But another thing about going to movies that we love is seeing the trailers for the movies that are on the horizon. Now, in the Information Age, there are TONS of trailers out there, but every once in awhile you get a trailer that really lights you up and sets that fire in your brain. Showcasing the trailers that do that for me is the point of this new series of posts called "Movies I Want To See". Today's post is about the trailer for a new movie called "Saving Mr. Banks".

Today we get a Tom Hanks twofer! You know that I'm a fan of Tom Hanks, but what you may not know is that I'm also a fan of Disney's Mary Poppins! But before we get to that, check out the trailer:


In many of my posts, I reference the fact that I had kind of twisted childhood. I'm not talking about my upbringing. What I'm talking about is the things that interested me as a child. While other kids were watching cartoons and children shows, I was watching cartoons and shows like "Tales From The Darkside", "Friday the 13th: The Series", "Monsters", "The Twilight Zone", etc. With those kinds of influences, it was rare for me to respond to anything that Disney did at the time. So you can imagine my childlike surprise when I found myself completely enjoying the movie, "Mary Poppins" the first time I saw it. Something about the combination of the prim & proper British attitude of Mary Poppins with the complete and utter nonsense of the Chimney Sweeps really hooked me. And to this day, that particular Disney film has a special place in my heart.  

So, this movie sparked my interest from the first reference to Mary Poppins at the beginning of the trailer. I have to be really honest here, despite my affection for the movie, I never really looked into the history of the film. I had heard somewhere from a teacher that it was based on a series of books, but that's pretty much it. When the trailer reveals that this film is about the story of how "Mary Poppins" was made, my interest was locked in.

And as a side note of interest, I've never really seen very many movies that reference Walt Disney himself. Given that the movie is made by his company and (I assume) with the approval of his living family, that should be another interesting tidbit for the film. What do you think folks? Are you as interested in this movie as I am? Sound off in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment