Friday, July 30, 2010

Blast From The Past

Dear readers, I have a confession to make. When I was.... when I was in high school, I was... I was in ... The Marching Band! Yes, I was a band geek. I played trombone. And at times, I ROCKED THE HOUSE!! Whew! I finally got that off my chest. I feel so much better now. By the way, that's me in the corner. That's me in the spot.. light, Losing my Religion. Trying to keep up with you, and I don't know if I can do it. Oh no, I've said too much... I haven't said enough. I thought that I heard you laughing, I thought that I heard you sing, I Think I Thought I Saw You Try......


Sorry, but that's a good song, and I couldn't resist. Okay? Anyway, to the point of this post. Today, I went to my FB page and saw that an old friend of mine had gone through her photo album and posted over a hundred photos of her time in the marching band. Lo and behold, I make a couple of cameo appearances in these photos! I spun through the posted pictures with my eyes wide and my jaw on the floor.

My God, was I EVER really THAT YOUNG!!!

People have been telling me I was an "old soul" from when I was about 12, and I've never really felt like a kid, but when I look at those pictures, all I could see was how young I was. I see myself in those pictures and remember the person I was, before my first love (and heartbreak), going away to college, getting my first apartment, my first professional job, and it's just amazing how much I had yet to experience and learn. What's also amazing how much of that teenager still exists today. I still enjoy the same styles of music that I enjoyed then, though I have added more. I still enjoy performing, though I don't get to do it as often. I still believe some of the things I did back then. Hell, I even still have my trombone!

Something that adds to the shock of seeing these photos is that I don't have any photos of that time in my life. Like most people, I wasn't in a good place during my high school years. One consequence of that was a lack of desire to document any of that time. I regret that decision now, but at the same time, I kind of enjoy the rush of seeing those pictures after so long.

I have to admit, it was fun looking at the pictures and remembering good times. I was even reminded of a trip to NYC and the Empire State Building that I had COMPLETELY forgotten about! Later on, I'm going to go through my stuff and see if I have any pictures of my own to share... You never know, I might have some pictures that will catapult someone ELSE on a trip down memory lane. How cool would that be, giving someone else the fun & joy of a blast from the past!!

No comments:

Post a Comment