Friday, April 16, 2010

The Dresden Files

As I state in my description, I am an avid reader. My tastes tend toward the Science Fiction and Fantasy genres, though I occasionally sojourn into the horror and thriller genres for a quick break. Currently, I'm in the middle of three different series. But the most recent reading I've done is the subject of this posting.

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files


I found out about The Dresden Files thanks to the SciFi channel. They tried to make a television series based on the novels. While the tv show didn't make it past season 1, the novels are still going strong. In fact, Jim Butcher just released the 12th novel in the series, Changes, about two weeks ago.

The Dresden Files is about the adventures of modern day wizard-for-hire, Harry Dresden, as he faces a seemingly never ending array of supernatural threats from Vampires, to Fairie Queens, from WereWolves to Necromancers, Harry faces them all with strength, power, and sarcasm. And honestly, I think that's my favorite part of the novels. I don't know about you, dear reader, but I miss the sarcastic hero. The guy who, like Harry, isn't afraid to make a quick joke at the bad guy's expense.

Harry just takes it to another level, though. Most of the time, Harry is usually facing off against supernatural baddies that vastly outmatch him, so he turns to his greatest weapon. His mouth. Since the books are in Harry's perspective, you get the whole logic of why he's doing it: getting the bad guy riled up enough to make a mistake. But it is so awesome to read the reactions of the people around Harry who continually get proof of just how crazy he can be.

The books are at once, exciting, interesting, funny, and heart-wrenching. There are times, when the books even had ME close to tears. ME!!

And as amazing and wonderfully complex a character as Harry is, all the other side characters are just as compelling to read. From Karrin Murphy, Chicago cop, and Harry's closest friend to Michael Carpenter, Knight of The Cross and Harry's right hand man, they are all so addicting to read about. Over the course of the novels, I find myself just as interested in the goings on of the side characters as I am of Harry.

If you're looking for something to read, I would recommend The Dresden Files. They're light, fun reading with a shot of magic and sarcasm for flavor! Book one is called Storm Front.

No comments:

Post a Comment